Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Day 10: 31 day Clutter Cleanse

Today's assignment:
Why clutter happens

Focusing on why clutter happens in the first place. 

Lara writes about the reasons age has clutter. These definitely ring true with me. 

1. Sentimentality
I have projects that I made in school, a book I see in grade school, a poetry project from junior high, a magazine that a poem I wrote appeared in. What should I really do with these? I suppose I need to put them all together. They are scattered about the house and get some acid free paper to protect them and preserve gem. 

2. I shop mindlessly or to relieve stress
With the baby waking me up, I dubs myself shopping at 3 am online.  It's not been the best use of time. I've definitely backed of this though. We are trying to get control of our expenses this month. 

3. Someday I might need it. 
This is a big issue with me. I have a lot of stuff "that I might need."  It's taken a lot of mental energy to overcome this. I used to keep jars and bottles that I liked thinking I'd use it for a craft project. I did use it for an outdoor candle project that's not in use now since our patio umbrella was ripped apart in a storm. 


4. Somebody gave it to me
This used to be a big issue, but we realized we get so much stuff from people that we cannot possibly keep it all. I just need to have that talk with my Dad.  He brings us so much stuff each time he visits. It's very sweet, but we just don't need any more stuff. 

5. I spent good money on it. 
This is a big reason that I keep stuff. I bought stuff when I was single and working and living by myself. It's something that I need to work on for sure. 

6. I simply don't set aside time to deal with it. 
I always think I don't have any time to do anything but take care of the family and so there are piles of things to do.  Setting aside time is definitely what I need to do to get control of most of my clutter. It's never going to go away if I don't deal with it right? 

Link to original post: 

No comments: